Whenever we listen to God and obey what He commands us to do, there is a release of great power from His glory … released in ways that far exceed our greatest imagination … that’s just how he does things :-).
But even knowing that we can experience that power, there are times we can find being obedient difficult. It may seem that what God is asking of us is “unreasonable” or “too hard” and may be afraid of losing out on something important. To be honest with ourselves, we have to know that not choosing to obey can cost us the very thing we desire the most.
Remember the story of Naaman in 2 Kings 5:11-17? He faced obstacles that kept him from following the instructions that God gave him to cure his leprosy. We face those same obstacles as many did in the Bible; for example:
1. PRIDE – Naaman was afraid if he followed God’s instructions he would lose face in the sight of the people; after all, he was a high level official.
Think for a moment: How often have you stopped short of a command or stubbornly refused to move forward because you would look foolish?
2. UNBELIEF – Naaman didn’t understand how his obedience to go wash in the river was going to cure him. He felt a prayer from Elisha to God would be sufficient to cure him.
Ponder this: When we don’t have the faith to believe God when He tells us to do something, we fail to see past what we want to the answer God has that will meet our needs.
3. SELF-CENTERED EXPECTATIONS – Naaman was very angry when his expectations were not met. He questioned that the rivers of Damascus were better than the river in Israel. Essentially, he didn’t want to participate any more than he had to in order to be cured and get what he wanted.
Meditate on this: We get angry at the Lord, too when we feel like He has not answered our petitions and we become reluctant to do what He has instructed … sometimes even knowing that if we do, we can receive the desires of our hearts. But if we really want Him to perfect His will in our lives and answer our prayers, we must “Let Go [be obedient] and Let God”.
Be Encouraged ~ You Are Loved
- Simply Obey (maddmedic.wordpress.com)
- Washed in the Waters (beyondwaiting.com)
- Naaman Revisited (shanday.wordpress.com)